This weekend brings a Founder’s Day Celebration like none other. Old Colorado City turns 150 this year, and resident and historian Dave Hughes has this preview of a very special event taking place during the celebration.

[Audio clip: view full post to listen]

Here’s the full recorded version of the Colorado Midland Band […]

Continue Reading

Old Colorado City resident Dave Hughes is an Army veteran, great-grandfather, and an internet pioneer. For today’s “Citizen Report,” Hughes shares his thoughts on this particular experiment in media convergence.

(The “Citizen Report” is a collaboration between the Colorado Springs Gazette and KRCC. More information is available at the YourHub link at Continue Reading

News

AP
October 23, 2017 | NPR · Amid growing political fallout, the Department of Defense is putting forward a timeline for the deadly confrontation with militants in Niger that killed four U.S. soldiers.
 

Library and Archives Canada
October 23, 2017 | NPR · British explorer John Franklin died in Canada’s northern reaches in the 1840s, along with all of his crew. Only recently were his ships finally found. Now, they are a gift from the U.K. to Canada.
 

October 23, 2017 | NPR · Only 25 percent of people who need government help to pay for housing get it. In collaboration with The FRONTLINE Dispatch, NPR looked at what can happen to the other 75 percent and how the affordable housing crisis is playing out in one Dallas neighborhood.
 

Arts & Life

October 23, 2017 | NPR · NPR’s Robert Siegel talks with John Hodgman about his new book Vacationland: True Stories from Painful Beaches. This time Hodgman isn’t writing about nonsensical histories, but his life.
 

Getty Images
October 23, 2017 | NPR · Official documents say the Nobel laureate died of prostate cancer in 1973. But 16 forensics experts have unanimously concluded that isn’t true, stoking suspicions again that he was actually poisoned.
 

Getty Images
October 23, 2017 | FA · “The reality is that Eric Garner died at the hands of a police force and a criminal justice system that were designed entirely by white people, for the most part,” says journalist Matt Taibbi.
 

Music

Getty Images
October 23, 2017 | NPR · Montreal police ticketed Taoufik Moalla for screaming in public. But Moalla says he was doing nothing more than singing along to C+C Music Factory’s “Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now).”
 

Redferns/Getty Images
October 23, 2017 | NPR · Ain co-founded Hellhammer and Celtic Frost with guitarist Tom Warrior, extreme metal bands that splayed shades of black across three decades.
 

Courtesy of Black Editions
October 23, 2017 | NPR · In 1991, the Tokyo Flashback comp introduced the world to Japanese psychedelic music. Experience the whammy-bar wizardry of White Heaven’s “Blind Promise” from a new reissue.
 

Get the KRCC iPhone App

The Writer's Almanac

Radiolab