- On-Air Playlist
- Program Schedule
- Community Calendar
- Sponsor Directory
- Featured Programs
- Arts & Life
- Support KRCC | Underwrite
License and Non-Profit Designation
KRCC is licensed and regulated by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). There has been some “deregulation” of broadcasting, but non-commercial stations still have a long list of regulations that must be followed. Violation of FCC rules may lead to the suspension of KRCC’s license and/or severe fines.
KRCC is licensed as a non-commercial, educational radio station. It is not merely a matter of taste or ideology – by law we cannot sell commercials. The lower part of the FM band (88 – 92Mhz) is reserved strictly for non-commercial stations. KRCC may not receive money for air time (or any other type of consideration) or accept money, gifts, tickets, or any other item of value in exchange for promoting something on the air.
“Consideration” is a legal term used to identify anything of value given in exchange for something else of value. The FCC intends to “maintain the non-commercial nature of public broadcasting by not allowing a broadcaster to promote the goods or services of an entity or person in return for consideration.” KRCC may promote services when no consideration is received.
- FUND RAISING: There is no FCC limitation on the amount of time the station can devote to fund raising for itself.
- TRANSITORY EVENTS: Concerts, plays, movies, and other activities may be promoted for the good of the public.
- PRIZE GIVEAWAYS: Usually used by non-commercial stations as either a “premium” to listeners who donate money to the station, or as an incentive to stimulate listenership. Identification of the donor and their address is permitted.
- UNDERWRITING (Program Sponsorship): In order to financially support the station, we may make announcements on our behalf. We may identify donors by name, business trade name, locations, and product lines – as long as there is no qualitative language used (e.g. delicious, best, professional, finest, etc.
- FUND RAISING FOR OTHERS: We may help other non-profit groups and organizations to raise money for themselves and support their activities (e.g. Fine Arts Center, Red Cross, United Way, Smokebrush Center, etc.).