9:00 AM Press Conference

Terry Maketa, El Paso County Sheriff

1205 homes unaffected
14 partially damaged
360 complete losses
79 could not verify

It’s still early, and numbers are subject to change.

Estimated acreage burned is 15,000, yesterday it was about 8500, and expected to lose about another 3,000 acres.

Wind is the #1 threat, as it’s very dynamic. They’re expecting a Red Flag day. They transitioned to a Type I team with Incident Commander Rich Harvey at the helm.

Tremendous interagency cooperation, with a smooth transition to the Type I team.

Lt. Col. Mitch Utterback, Colorado National Guard, liaison to the Type I team

130 National Guard Troops at the ready prepared to support the efforts. Will keep sending resources until Rich Harvey says he has enough. The 52nd Engineer Battalion from Fort Carson is cutting perimeter lines. Also providing communication support.

Tommy Smith, CSFD Interim Fire Chief

Flying Horse subdivision is still under voluntary evacuation. They will continue to monitor the situation, the concern is the weather. Will continue to support firefighting efforts.

The El Paso County Sheriff’s Department has released a new list of damaged properties in the Black Forest Fire, as of 2 AM early Thursday morning. They caution the information is subject to change.

Jump to:

Evacuation Map
Postal Service information

8:00 AM

A press briefing is scheduled for 9 AM. El Paso County is opening a Disaster Assistance Center today at 8 AM at its Citizens Service Center on Garden of the Gods Road. Resources including El Paso County Public Health, insurance representatives, and grief counselors will offer services to those affected by the Black Forest Fire. It will be open daily from 8-6.

A Type I Firefighting Team is on scene, led by Incident Commander Rich Harvey.

Initial home assessments from El Paso County can be found here. A new list is expected today, and officials caution that the fire is still highly active and the information could change.

The latest evacuation map is here:

View Black Forest Fire Evacuation Map in a larger map

USPS Interruptions:

Mail delivery has been suspended for the following general areas served by the Colorado Springs, 80908 ZIP Code, impacting nearly 1,700 deliveries at:

Hodgen Road
Burgess Road
Eastonville Road
Thahosa Lane

The mail will be held at Briargate Station, 8585 Criterion Dr, and can be picked up at the side door in the lobby from 9:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. The phone number to the station is (719) 265-4409.

Additionally, the Postal Service has temporarily closed the Black Forest Retail Postal Unit. All mail and services are being serviced out of the Briargate Station.

Approximately 1,200 addresses serviced by Peyton, ZIP 80831 in the Black Forest Falcon area may be impacted by road closures. Mail for affected addresses will be available late this afternoon at the Peyton Post Office, 13055 Bradshaw Road.

Customers who receive their mail in Elbert through a Post Office Box or on a route can pick up their mail at the Kiowa Post Office, located at 708 Comanche St. The hours of operation are from Mon-Fri, 7:30 – 4:30, and Sat, 730 – 1030.

(Info comes from two USPS press releases from Wednesday.)

5PM Press Conference from Wednesday 06/13/13.

One Response to #BlackForestFire Updates, Thursday 06/13/13

1. Whitney, Betty and Monty says:

To fire refugees: We can offer space/plug-ins for motor home/camping or vehicle storage, also for animals including poultry. We have a farm with pasture & water sources — three miles north of Calhan. 719-347-2368

News

AP
August 28, 2016 | NPR · Since the last presidential election, a growing economy has sent the unemployment rate plunging. That improvement has changed the political conversation, but it hasn’t stopped worries about wages.

August 28, 2016 | NPR · Sanders wrote the definitive book on the Manson Family (“The Family.”) He’s currently working on a book about Robert Kennedy. He’s decided to sell the assembled work on which he’s based his research.

August 28, 2016 | NPR · The most important player in all of sports? The quarterback, says Mike Pesca of The Gist, who tells Linda Wertheimer why.

Arts & Life

Getty Images
August 28, 2016 | NPR · Cuba Gooding Jr., Rami Malek and Constance Zimmer all have one thing in common: this year is the first time each has been nominated for an Emmy. Their nominations hint at deeper changes in television.

August 28, 2016 | NPR · Linda Wertheimer talks to the Dutch writer about his novel: A teacher has an affair with his student. She breaks it off. He disappears. And then a writer comes along, and turns the story into a novel.

Music

August 28, 2016 | NPR · The movement continues to push the boundaries on music and fashion as art, setting the standard for what many would define as cool. Editors note: At 2:04 into this piece there is a bleeped expletive.

Courtesy of the artist
August 27, 2016 | NPR · Sir the Baptist grew up on the South Side of Chicago. NPR’s Scott Simon talks with the singer and rapper about how music became his way of picking up where his father left off.

Susan Sharon
August 27, 2016 | MPBN · The religious sect known as Shakers, responsible for the song “Simple Gifts” and thousands of others, is almost gone — and a non-Shaker is trying to keep the group’s musical history alive.

Get the KRCC iPhone App

The Writer's Almanac

Radiolab