Education cuts are on the table once again in this year’s budgeting process. This month, we’re spending time taking a look at those cuts, and at education in general in Colorado.

You can download the entire episode here, or listen online:

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.

You can also head to the individual segments for full audio by clicking on any of the links below:

“The Issue” from RMCR sister station KDNK: Education and the State Budget
University of Colorado Examines Journalism Program
Q&A: CSU-Pueblo’s Journalism Emphasis
Extracurriculars in High School: The Newspaper
Roundtable: Higher Education
Community Colleges in Southern Colorado

Western Skies is a collaboration between KRCC News and The Big Something.

“The Issue” from Rocky Mountain Community Radio sister station KDNK:
Education and the State Budget

Conrad Wilson and Mathew Katz of KDNK take a look at the state’s budget, and how education cuts made it to the top of the governor’s budget proposal.

Download or listen to the piece as aired:

The edited version comes from a show produced by KDNK called “The Issue,” which is available by podcast. The full episode regarding these ballot initiatives is here (17:50):

University of Colorado officials made headlines last fall, when they said they would take a hard look at the future of their journalism program. While other universities have completed the same exercise, CU’s has been more public and contentious than most. And that’s opened up a new window of unexpected opportunities for student journalists covering the story. From Rocky Mountain Community Radio member station KUNC, Grace Hood has this report from late February.

Q&A: CSU-Pueblo’s Journalism Emphasis

While CU undergoes this process, one university in southern Colorado looks for ways to improve their own emphasis on journalism studies. Jennifer Mullen chairs the Department of Mass Communication and Center for New Media at Colorado State University in Pueblo. Within the department, there are three emphasis: journalism, electronic media, and Integrated Communication, things like advertising and public relations. KRCC’s Andrea Chalfin sat down with Jennifer Mullen to talk about how they’re approaching their journalism discipline at a time when the field is quickly evolving.

Download or listen to the segment as aired:

Download or listen to the full interview (about 43 minutes):

There’s no doubt the face of journalism is changing. As technology emerges, methods of communicating the news also evolve. KRCC’s Kate Jonuska wondered about the state of high school newspapers, and how they’re faring in the face of technological advancements and educational budget cuts. Kate checked in with two schools in the Pikes Peak region, and found that the students involved are dealing with some of the same issues city papers face.

Download, or listen online:

Palmer Lever, online
Discovery Shuttle, online

Roundtable: Higher Education

As the economy and workforce evolves, so does higher education. To catch a glimpse into the world of higher education, KRCC’s Andrea Chalfin sat down with down with Colorado College professor Tim Fuller, who’s also been at times, Dean of the College and acting president, as well as Joe Marshall, Assistant Vice President for Enrollment at Colorado State University-Pueblo. We invited the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs to be a part of the conversation, but they were unable to participate. We begin with CSU-Pueblo’s Joe Marshall talking about the changes in higher education.

Download or listen to the full conversation (about 1 hr. 5 min):

Community Colleges in Southern Colorado

One of the options for folks looking to further their education is community college. Colorado’s Community College System has an established mission to provide access to classes that help achieve educational, professional, and personal goals. KRCC’s Andrea Chalfin decided to check in with community colleges within the system in Southern Colorado to see what they see their role as, and discovered that it comes down to two things: access and flexibility.

Download, or listen to the piece online:

One Response to Western Skies, April 3, 2011: “Education”

1. Nancy says:

I enjoyed this program and found it very informative. Sad, though, to think of journalism programs closing.

News

AP
July 27, 2017 | NPR · After a whirlwind week of high drama, another played out in the early hours of Friday morning with Sen. John McCain joining two moderate Republicans and all Democrats in voting against the bill.

July 27, 2017 | NPR · Lt. Aaron Allan of Southport, Ind., was killed allegedly by one of the occupants of a flipped-over automobile as he responded to the scene on Thursday.

AP
July 27, 2017 | NPR · A 46-year-old death row inmate argued his previous lawyers were incompetent — one of them had been disbarred. But courts denied his motion to halt the execution.

Arts & Life

Patrick McMullan via Getty Images
July 27, 2017 | NPR · For 38 years the Pulitzer Prize winner was one of the most influential voices in the world of books. During her tenure, she lauded — or lambasted — just about all of this generation’s great writers.

Paramount Pictures
July 27, 2017 | NPR · In 2006, Al Gore issued a forceful warning about the threat of climate change in An Inconvenient Truth. He’s followed it up with a sequel that shows how far we’ve come — but with plenty of caveats.

A24
July 27, 2017 | NPR · This sweetly funny tale of a recently widowed Orthodox Jew struggling to care for his son offers a humane and sympathetic view of life in a Hasidic enclave.

Music

NPR
July 27, 2017 | NPR · AltLatino’s annual cruise of summer music festivals dedicated to Latin Alternative music, arts and culture. Three cities, four festivals!

Sygma via Getty Images
July 27, 2017 | NPR · Jones charged the estate with “disguising” royalties and breaking the terms of his contracts with the King of Pop.

NPR Music
July 27, 2017 | NPR · If you can’t join us in Newport this weekend, we have you covered. Hear sets from Shovels & Rope, Angel Olsen, Jim James, John Prine and more during our live stream of the Newport Folk Festival.

Get the KRCC iPhone App

The Writer's Almanac

Radiolab