Education cuts are on the table once again in this year’s budgeting process. This month, we’re spending time taking a look at those cuts, and at education in general in Colorado.

You can download the entire episode here, or listen online:

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.

You can also head to the individual segments for full audio by clicking on any of the links below:

“The Issue” from RMCR sister station KDNK: Education and the State Budget
University of Colorado Examines Journalism Program
Q&A: CSU-Pueblo’s Journalism Emphasis
Extracurriculars in High School: The Newspaper
Roundtable: Higher Education
Community Colleges in Southern Colorado

Western Skies is a collaboration between KRCC News and The Big Something.

“The Issue” from Rocky Mountain Community Radio sister station KDNK:
Education and the State Budget

Conrad Wilson and Mathew Katz of KDNK take a look at the state’s budget, and how education cuts made it to the top of the governor’s budget proposal.

Download or listen to the piece as aired:

The edited version comes from a show produced by KDNK called “The Issue,” which is available by podcast. The full episode regarding these ballot initiatives is here (17:50):

University of Colorado officials made headlines last fall, when they said they would take a hard look at the future of their journalism program. While other universities have completed the same exercise, CU’s has been more public and contentious than most. And that’s opened up a new window of unexpected opportunities for student journalists covering the story. From Rocky Mountain Community Radio member station KUNC, Grace Hood has this report from late February.

Q&A: CSU-Pueblo’s Journalism Emphasis

While CU undergoes this process, one university in southern Colorado looks for ways to improve their own emphasis on journalism studies. Jennifer Mullen chairs the Department of Mass Communication and Center for New Media at Colorado State University in Pueblo. Within the department, there are three emphasis: journalism, electronic media, and Integrated Communication, things like advertising and public relations. KRCC’s Andrea Chalfin sat down with Jennifer Mullen to talk about how they’re approaching their journalism discipline at a time when the field is quickly evolving.

Download or listen to the segment as aired:

Download or listen to the full interview (about 43 minutes):

There’s no doubt the face of journalism is changing. As technology emerges, methods of communicating the news also evolve. KRCC’s Kate Jonuska wondered about the state of high school newspapers, and how they’re faring in the face of technological advancements and educational budget cuts. Kate checked in with two schools in the Pikes Peak region, and found that the students involved are dealing with some of the same issues city papers face.

Download, or listen online:

Palmer Lever, online
Discovery Shuttle, online

Roundtable: Higher Education

As the economy and workforce evolves, so does higher education. To catch a glimpse into the world of higher education, KRCC’s Andrea Chalfin sat down with down with Colorado College professor Tim Fuller, who’s also been at times, Dean of the College and acting president, as well as Joe Marshall, Assistant Vice President for Enrollment at Colorado State University-Pueblo. We invited the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs to be a part of the conversation, but they were unable to participate. We begin with CSU-Pueblo’s Joe Marshall talking about the changes in higher education.

Download or listen to the full conversation (about 1 hr. 5 min):

Community Colleges in Southern Colorado

One of the options for folks looking to further their education is community college. Colorado’s Community College System has an established mission to provide access to classes that help achieve educational, professional, and personal goals. KRCC’s Andrea Chalfin decided to check in with community colleges within the system in Southern Colorado to see what they see their role as, and discovered that it comes down to two things: access and flexibility.

Download, or listen to the piece online:

One Response to Western Skies, April 3, 2011: “Education”

1. Nancy says:

I enjoyed this program and found it very informative. Sad, though, to think of journalism programs closing.

News

AP
November 22, 2014 | NPR · Iran and six world powers are meeting this weekend in Vienna with a Monday deadline looming. Here’s a look at what it all means for Iran and its neighbors.

November 22, 2014 | NPR · A roadway robbery in Guinea resulted in an alarming haul this week, as thieves made off with cash, personal items – and a batch of Red Cross blood samples.

AP
November 22, 2014 | NPR · More diplomats are joining the discussions this weekend, hoping to broker a deal to ease years of disputes over Iran’s nuclear program.

Arts & Life

AP
November 22, 2014 | NPR · Andy Cohen is host of Watch What Happens Live and also the Bravo producer responsible for the Real Housewives franchise. He’ll play a game called “Bzzz … bzzz … bzzz.”

November 22, 2014 | NPR · From NPR’s Guy Raz, host of the TED Radio Hour: the story of environmentalist John Francis, who took a 17-year vow of silence — and what he learned about the power of quiet.

November 22, 2014 | NPR · NPR’s Scott Simon talks to Carolyn Chute about her new novel, Treat Us Like Dogs and We Will Become Wolves. The book follows a reporter as she investigates a remote commune and its charismatic leader.

Music

NPR
November 22, 2014 | NPR · The Dinosaur Jr. frontman, one of the world’s loudest musicians, performs unplugged and acoustic in the NPR Music offices.

Roadside Attractions
November 22, 2014 | NPR · Two composers became instrument builders to score the film, set in the pioneer days of the American West. “We both knew what the movie sounded like. We just had to find it,” Tommy Lee Jones says.

Courtesy of the artist
November 22, 2014 | NPR · The Canadian musician leaves the singing of his songs to karaoke stars around the world, and instead goes for hits by Bob Dylan, Ray Charles and others on Tracks Of My Years.

Get the KRCC iPhone App

The Writer's Almanac

Radiolab