Education cuts are on the table once again in this year’s budgeting process. This month, we’re spending time taking a look at those cuts, and at education in general in Colorado.

You can download the entire episode here, or listen online:

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.

You can also head to the individual segments for full audio by clicking on any of the links below:

“The Issue” from RMCR sister station KDNK: Education and the State Budget
University of Colorado Examines Journalism Program
Q&A: CSU-Pueblo’s Journalism Emphasis
Extracurriculars in High School: The Newspaper
Roundtable: Higher Education
Community Colleges in Southern Colorado

Western Skies is a collaboration between KRCC News and The Big Something.

“The Issue” from Rocky Mountain Community Radio sister station KDNK:
Education and the State Budget

Conrad Wilson and Mathew Katz of KDNK take a look at the state’s budget, and how education cuts made it to the top of the governor’s budget proposal.

Download or listen to the piece as aired:

The edited version comes from a show produced by KDNK called “The Issue,” which is available by podcast. The full episode regarding these ballot initiatives is here (17:50):

University of Colorado officials made headlines last fall, when they said they would take a hard look at the future of their journalism program. While other universities have completed the same exercise, CU’s has been more public and contentious than most. And that’s opened up a new window of unexpected opportunities for student journalists covering the story. From Rocky Mountain Community Radio member station KUNC, Grace Hood has this report from late February.

Q&A: CSU-Pueblo’s Journalism Emphasis

While CU undergoes this process, one university in southern Colorado looks for ways to improve their own emphasis on journalism studies. Jennifer Mullen chairs the Department of Mass Communication and Center for New Media at Colorado State University in Pueblo. Within the department, there are three emphasis: journalism, electronic media, and Integrated Communication, things like advertising and public relations. KRCC’s Andrea Chalfin sat down with Jennifer Mullen to talk about how they’re approaching their journalism discipline at a time when the field is quickly evolving.

Download or listen to the segment as aired:

Download or listen to the full interview (about 43 minutes):

There’s no doubt the face of journalism is changing. As technology emerges, methods of communicating the news also evolve. KRCC’s Kate Jonuska wondered about the state of high school newspapers, and how they’re faring in the face of technological advancements and educational budget cuts. Kate checked in with two schools in the Pikes Peak region, and found that the students involved are dealing with some of the same issues city papers face.

Download, or listen online:

Palmer Lever, online
Discovery Shuttle, online

Roundtable: Higher Education

As the economy and workforce evolves, so does higher education. To catch a glimpse into the world of higher education, KRCC’s Andrea Chalfin sat down with down with Colorado College professor Tim Fuller, who’s also been at times, Dean of the College and acting president, as well as Joe Marshall, Assistant Vice President for Enrollment at Colorado State University-Pueblo. We invited the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs to be a part of the conversation, but they were unable to participate. We begin with CSU-Pueblo’s Joe Marshall talking about the changes in higher education.

Download or listen to the full conversation (about 1 hr. 5 min):

Community Colleges in Southern Colorado

One of the options for folks looking to further their education is community college. Colorado’s Community College System has an established mission to provide access to classes that help achieve educational, professional, and personal goals. KRCC’s Andrea Chalfin decided to check in with community colleges within the system in Southern Colorado to see what they see their role as, and discovered that it comes down to two things: access and flexibility.

Download, or listen to the piece online:

One Response to Western Skies, April 3, 2011: “Education”

1. Nancy says:

I enjoyed this program and found it very informative. Sad, though, to think of journalism programs closing.

News

AFP/Getty Images
July 1, 2016 | NPR · The capacity of guns’ magazines will now be limited to 10 bullets, and background checks will be required to buy ammunition. The new laws also target “straw purchasing” guns for other people.

Getty Images
July 1, 2016 | NPR · The U.K. gives billions of pounds to the developing world. Will this benevolent spirit survive in the wake of Brexit?

AP
July 1, 2016 | NPR · Michael Phelps got a DUI, some bad press and time in rehab since the 2012 Olympics. And that helps explain why he decided to come out of retirement and compete in his fifth Summer Games.

Arts & Life

July 1, 2016 | NPR · NPR’s Robert Siegel uses a new documentary about film director Brian De Palma to talk to him about his career highs and lows, techniques, and how deeply he has been influenced by Alfred Hitchcock.

July 1, 2016 | NPR · NPR’s Kelly McEvers speaks with Paul Farhi of the Washington Post about Gay Talese’s new book, The Voyeur’s Hotel. The credibility of the book, which follows a self-proclaimed sex researcher who bought a hotel to spy on his guests through ventilator windows, has been called into question after Farhi uncovered problems with Talese’s story.

AP
July 1, 2016 | NPR · An appreciation of Olivia de Havilland,–Gone With the Wind’s last surviving cast member — on her 100th birthday.

Music

Courtesy of the artist
July 1, 2016 | NPR · The pianist and educator shows off her classical chops in a solo during “It Could Happen To You.”

July 1, 2016 | FA · John Doe, Exene Cervenka and Dave Alvin of the band X discuss punk’s early days. “Anybody could belong to punk that wanted to be there,” Cervenka says. Originally broadcast May 2, 2016.

Courtesy of the artist
July 1, 2016 | NPR · The new video from Jamie xx, for the song “Gosh,” is a small wonder to behold.

Get the KRCC iPhone App

The Writer's Almanac

Radiolab