Education cuts are on the table once again in this year’s budgeting process. This month, we’re spending time taking a look at those cuts, and at education in general in Colorado.

You can download the entire episode here, or listen online:

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.

You can also head to the individual segments for full audio by clicking on any of the links below:

“The Issue” from RMCR sister station KDNK: Education and the State Budget
University of Colorado Examines Journalism Program
Q&A: CSU-Pueblo’s Journalism Emphasis
Extracurriculars in High School: The Newspaper
Roundtable: Higher Education
Community Colleges in Southern Colorado

Western Skies is a collaboration between KRCC News and The Big Something.

“The Issue” from Rocky Mountain Community Radio sister station KDNK:
Education and the State Budget

Conrad Wilson and Mathew Katz of KDNK take a look at the state’s budget, and how education cuts made it to the top of the governor’s budget proposal.

Download or listen to the piece as aired:

The edited version comes from a show produced by KDNK called “The Issue,” which is available by podcast. The full episode regarding these ballot initiatives is here (17:50):

University of Colorado officials made headlines last fall, when they said they would take a hard look at the future of their journalism program. While other universities have completed the same exercise, CU’s has been more public and contentious than most. And that’s opened up a new window of unexpected opportunities for student journalists covering the story. From Rocky Mountain Community Radio member station KUNC, Grace Hood has this report from late February.

Q&A: CSU-Pueblo’s Journalism Emphasis

While CU undergoes this process, one university in southern Colorado looks for ways to improve their own emphasis on journalism studies. Jennifer Mullen chairs the Department of Mass Communication and Center for New Media at Colorado State University in Pueblo. Within the department, there are three emphasis: journalism, electronic media, and Integrated Communication, things like advertising and public relations. KRCC’s Andrea Chalfin sat down with Jennifer Mullen to talk about how they’re approaching their journalism discipline at a time when the field is quickly evolving.

Download or listen to the segment as aired:

Download or listen to the full interview (about 43 minutes):

There’s no doubt the face of journalism is changing. As technology emerges, methods of communicating the news also evolve. KRCC’s Kate Jonuska wondered about the state of high school newspapers, and how they’re faring in the face of technological advancements and educational budget cuts. Kate checked in with two schools in the Pikes Peak region, and found that the students involved are dealing with some of the same issues city papers face.

Download, or listen online:

Palmer Lever, online
Discovery Shuttle, online

Roundtable: Higher Education

As the economy and workforce evolves, so does higher education. To catch a glimpse into the world of higher education, KRCC’s Andrea Chalfin sat down with down with Colorado College professor Tim Fuller, who’s also been at times, Dean of the College and acting president, as well as Joe Marshall, Assistant Vice President for Enrollment at Colorado State University-Pueblo. We invited the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs to be a part of the conversation, but they were unable to participate. We begin with CSU-Pueblo’s Joe Marshall talking about the changes in higher education.

Download or listen to the full conversation (about 1 hr. 5 min):

Community Colleges in Southern Colorado

One of the options for folks looking to further their education is community college. Colorado’s Community College System has an established mission to provide access to classes that help achieve educational, professional, and personal goals. KRCC’s Andrea Chalfin decided to check in with community colleges within the system in Southern Colorado to see what they see their role as, and discovered that it comes down to two things: access and flexibility.

Download, or listen to the piece online:

One Response to Western Skies, April 3, 2011: “Education”

1. Nancy says:

I enjoyed this program and found it very informative. Sad, though, to think of journalism programs closing.

News

Getty Images
May 28, 2015 | NPR · The Warriors return to the Finals for the first time in 40 years with a convincing 104-90 victory over the Rockets.

Madrid Scientific Films
May 27, 2015 | NPR · Scientists say it’s not just a murder from another era, but also part of one of the earliest mass graves.

AP
May 27, 2015 | NPR · Does Bill Clinton have a secret corporation that he is using to hide money? Is it intended to pay a lower tax rate? Or is it something else entirely?

Arts & Life

May 27, 2015 | NPR · For this final round, every answer contains an article of clothing or wardrobe accessory. So if we said, “colorful wasps sometimes mistaken for bees,” the answer would be “yellow jackets.”

May 27, 2015 | NPR · We all remember Clint Eastwood’s character Dirty Harry and his famous line, “Go ahead, make my day.” In this game, contestants deliver that line… Ask Me Another-style. So go ahead, make our pâté.

May 27, 2015 | NPR · It’s hard to keep a good rock band together; you’re always losing members. In this game, we take the names of famous bands and drop a letter to make a whole new band.

Music

Courtesy Oscar Paz Suaznabar
May 27, 2015 | NPR · NPR’s Robert Siegel sits down with Oscar Paz Suaznabar, who has played at Carnegie Hall, the Kennedy Center and on the NPR show From The Top.

Courtesy of the artist
May 27, 2015 | NPR · The titanic 85-year-old jazz saxophonist and composer says two much younger musicians had no right to release a recording with him.

May 27, 2015 | NPR · NPR’s Audie Cornish and Robert Siegel update listeners on our crowdsourcing music project, the All Things Considered Road Trip Playlist. NPR has received nearly 2,000 song suggestions, and on Wednesday shares some of the most literal picks — songs that are all about the feeling and adventure of hitting the road.

Get the KRCC iPhone App

The Writer's Almanac

Radiolab